12 Steps to Improve Supply Room Organization & Efficiency
A well-organized supply room is critical to improve the efficiency of your operation. By using these simple steps that utilize material handling equipment, you can get started immediately on a plan!
- Appoint a team of 3 to 5 diverse members to work on the project.
- Assess your current room set-up and examine the need for a color coded stackable plastic bins system.
- Sort the items in your supply room. Determine the appropriate size bin or container for all supplies in the room.
- Measure the supply room and note any special circumstances (pillars and columns, nontraditional room layouts). Review this preferred arrangement with representatives from staffs that use the room.
- Determine the optimal date and time for your room reorganization.
- Prepare labels or labeling system in advance of the reorganization day.
- Place your existing and new shelving, and install your louvered panels.
- One area at a time, reorganize your supply room.
- Speak to staff members who use the room about the new layout.
- Survey staff members on the effectiveness of the new program, and make any final adjustments needed.
- Make sure a 5S Lean schedule and checklist are clearly posted and followed daily.
- Create a plan to convert any remaining supply rooms in your facility.
Akro-Mils has room reorganization planning guides and bin color code charts available. Ask us for more information!
Bart Eggert is Product Line Manager for Akro-Mils, a North American leader in storage, organization and transport products. For more information on Akro-Mils’ full line of products, visit www.akro-mils.com.