Why Should I Buy Selective Pallet Rack?
Selective pallet rack offers simplicity and versatility. That’s why it’s the most popular pallet rack system for storing and retrieving pallets. In most industrial applications, selective pallet rack will be the front line of storage in warehouse environments, adaptable to most products and accessible by the widest range of equipment.
|Selective racks allow for accessibility to nearly any pallet at any time.
The system’s simplicity translates to lower purchase and installation costs.
How Selective Pallet Rack Works
The basic single-bay selective pallet racking configuration consists of two uprights and sets of beam pairs. Uprights form the vertical structure and provide connection points to attach the beams that actually support the pallets. The storage capacity of a given shelf depends upon the height and length of the beam and the number of shelves incorporated in the bay.The horizontal beams can be placed at varying heights to store pallets and have specific load limitations. Once erected, the bays may be lined up in single aisles or back-to-back aisles. When bays are lined up end-to-end in an aisle, each bay shares an upright with the bay before it and the bay following it. Pallets are normally arranged side-by-side at each level. Lower pallets can be placed directly on the floor, saving the cost of installing a bottom beam pair/shelf.
|Selective pallet racks consist of uprights and beams. Uprights form the vertical structure to which beams connect, creating shelf levels for pallet storage.|
Benefits Of Selective Pallet Racking
- Selective pallet racking allows pallets to be clearly viewed, accessed and pulled rapidly. The entire pallet may be removed or individual cases may be accessed.
- All stock stored on a selective pallet rack can be reached with minimal handling and usually no re-positioning of other stock.
- Adjustable beam height provides endless configuration possibilities for stock of varying height and volume.
- The steel upright-and-beam construction is highly rigid and resists flex, reducing the potential of compression damage to stored stock.
- Selective pallet racks can be accessed by most varieties of lift trucks and require no special equipment to pull pallets.
- Easy to arrange and rotate inventory rapidly on a FIFO (first in, first out) or LIFO (last in, first out) basis, as you can basically pick any pallet, anywhere, at any time. Selective pallet racks are most suitable for applications with rapid turnover of stock and many SKUs.
- Aisle space required for selective pallet rack consumes up to 80 percent of available floor space. Only 20 percent is available for actual storage.
- Storage costs are high when dealing with larger volumes of stock.
- The upright-beam construction is limited in height to approximately 40 feet.
Wide aisles and height limitations are two of the few drawbacks of selective pallet rack. The simplicity of a selective pallet rack translates to low upfront purchase and installation costs.
Accessibility of inventory, ease of installation and low costs for access and equipment make selective pallet rack the best storage solution for a majority of industrial operations.
Ed Stites, Wholesale Manager of warehouse1, has 25 years of material handling experience specializing in pallet racking and industrial storage systems.